Problems with the new Last.fm page

Posted by berto on July 21, 2008

I’ve just got back from Istanbul and when I was about to release Vagalume 0.7 I saw that the Last.fm web page had been redesigned.

However I am missing a very important feature ! Where’s the ability to listen to free records in the Last.fm client ?

When I went to pages like this one there used to be a “Play in Last.fm software” which pointed to this lastfm:// address so I could play the album in my Last.fm client. But I can’t find that link anymore, it seems that the only choice now is to use the flash player.

Has this feature been removed ??

Comments

1. Nick Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:35:47 CET

Log in. Go to settings. Choose the Website settings tab. Select ‘Play music in the Last.fm software’ Save.

2. berto Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:50:42 CET

I had already tried that, Nick. Does it work for you ?

3. decke Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:17:15 CET

I used that feature too but the links simply aren’t there anymore. They exist in Group pages on the right as big Buttons instead of the Flash player but seem to be missing everywhere else. That really sucks and it does not help to be a subscriber too.

From reading the last.fm announcement comments and the Support Forum i can see that they have a lot of work to do to reimplement all that features that are missing since the update and people are collecting “most missing feature” lists. But i don’t know how much the last.fm guys care about that.

4. Jonty Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:21:17 CET

Hey,

We’re currently working on all the regressions (and there are lots we missed), this one irritates the hell out of me and I’m bugging the front-end guys all the time.

It’ll be sorted soon. If they don’t do it I’ll whip out my crusty templating skills and do it myself!

Cheers,
    Jonty

5. berto Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:32:12 CET

Thanks, Jonty !

It’s great to know that this feature will be back again! :)

6. decke Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:51:05 CET

Great! Thanks for letting us know.

7. eccentric Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:42:56 CET

Looks like this is working now … at least it is for me.

I tried to play Group radio from the website in the client without success. However today it works (did have to switch the option in the settings though) … I get nice lastfm:// links on the pages.

Cheers.

8. berto Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:13:09 CET

Group radio has always worked, I’m talking about songs and albums, such as this one

9. [...] I have had no time to release Vagalume 0.7 yet, although the code is mostly ready (I’d like to see how this Last.fm problem evolves, also). However the development never stops. Luis Garcia Rio has been working with OpenMoko and here’s the result: [...]

10. [...] With the bookmark manager you can have a list of Last.fm radio URLs (those starting with lastfm://). This includes all of your favourite radios (your best friends’ libraries, your preferred tags, etc.), and also all the free music available in Last.fm. I like to think about it as the equivalent of the music library in Rhythmbox and other programs. To add free albums to your library you just need their lastfm:// address. It used to be available in each album’s page. However after the Last.fm site update it’s no longer there. They are working on it. Meanwhile, there are workarounds (see here and here). [...]

11. [...] I have had no time to release Vagalume 0.7 yet, although the code is mostly ready (I’d like to see how this Last.fm problem evolves, also). However the development never stops. Luis Garcia Rio has been working with OpenMoko and here’s the result: [...]