FOSDEM 2008 is here

Posted by berto on February 07, 2008

FOSDEM 2008 is around the corner. Of course I’ll be there along with other igalians so I hope to see you there :)

If you’re a Maemo user/hacker then you’ll probably be interested in this wiki page where we’re trying to coordinate a meeting.

By the way, some people have suggested me to use GTK themeable icons in Vagalume instead of the custom ones that come with v0.5. Here’s a couple of screenshots comparing both (click on the images to view them full size).

Vagalume 0.5 using GTK icons
Vagalume 0.5 using custom icons

I’ve just created a survey so you can vote which one you prefer :) If you don’t have a user at garage.maemo.org, just leave a comment in this post.

See you at FOSDEM !

Comments

1. Chris Cunningham Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:00:11 CET

Definitely the Tango / themeable ones. The age of random GNOME apps having their own look and feel is pretty much over.

– Chris

2. Eetu Huisman Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:27:23 CET

GTK stock icons, please, always, everywhere. That’s the whole point of stock icons.

3. pjoul Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:31:56 CET

I definitely agree with Chris Cunningham. Let us feel the tango love!

4. Christoph Langner Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:59:15 CET

Definitely stock icons like all the others said…

5. jegHegy Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:59:50 CET

GTK, definitely. Consistency, consistency, consistency.

6. garrett Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:29:57 CET

The GTK+/Tango icons look great!

(Why is the little email one an old-school GTK+ stock icon though?)

7. Ross Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:39:21 CET

If you don’t use stock icons, baby Jesus will cry, kittens will be killed, and I’m sure several GNOME developers will beat you up at FOSDEM.

8. berto Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:49:41 CET

garrett, the screenshot was taken using the tango-icon-theme package from Debian etch, and I was using the ‘mail-send’ icon.

It’s just an example anyway :)

9. Jonty Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:01:44 CET

After a short survey, the last.fm staff unanimously prefer the GTK buttons.

Also, we LOVE vagalume. Just so you know…

10. Felipe Erias Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:06:38 CET

I think that users should have the chance to choose between a GTK+ stock look and a custom one.

Multimedia apps aren’t spreadsheets, so I personally find it OK if they have a nice little extra ‘touch’ in their looks. Obviouslly, this is a very personal opinion and that’s why I’m proposing that we let the user choose.

11. Bob Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:06:53 CET

What’s the difference between Vagalume and Last-exit ?

12. berto Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:20:31 CET

Bob, they’re completely different programs (although both are Last.fm clients).

Vagalume is probably more lightweight as it’s programmed in C with GTK+ (Last-exit requires Mono). On the other hand, Last-exit has been around for longer so it’s probably more well-tested.

Also, Vagalume is specially designed to work in the Nokia 770/N800/N810

So if you have a PC try both and choose. If you have a Nokia device then Vagalume is the only option right now AFAIK (apart from the flash player, that is).

13. Bob Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:07:28 CET

Ok thanks, yes I prefer C too. I’ll take a look as soon as you’ll i18nize it ;)

14. Wouter Bolsterlee Thu, 07 Feb 2008 19:08:37 CET

The stock ones are way better… however you can still fiddle with the buttons (a bit), e.g. remove the border and such.

15. John Stowers Thu, 07 Feb 2008 20:51:27 CET

Its not even close. GTK stock icons. Consistency

16. Marc Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:33:19 CET

Hi, you might want to remove the / from the end of the maemo wiki link :-)

I’m coming to fosdem, would be great to meet you and thank you for vagalume, one of the most useful pieces of software on my maemo device.

See you there perhaps!

17. berto Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:39:21 CET

Link updated, thanks Marc!

See you in Brussels! :-)

18. Bob Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:58:35 CET

I’ve tried it, and I only get a bunch of errors (a lot of WARNING **: Error: Internal data flow error). So disappointed :(
    (Anyway I think you should work on HIG compliance too)
    Thanks anyway and good luck.

19. Dread Knight Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:24:10 CET

GTK+

20. abrilc Sat, 09 Feb 2008 04:48:48 CET

Obviously, i prefer GTk themeable icons.

21. […] The people have spoken and the results have been overwhelming. […]

22. Calum Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:51:48 CET

It’s not really a question of “prefer”– non-themeable icons break accessibility, and that’s just thoughtless design.

23. Questo Weekend arriva il FOSDEM! | PettiNix Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:46:39 CET

[…] Il FOSDEM si terrà il 23 ed il 24 Febbraio 2008 a Brussels in Belgio. Sarà presente il team di openSUSE, Novell è anche tra gli sponsor, che presenterà alcuni dei propri servizi. Ci sarà chi parlerà di Maemo, ci sarà il team di GNOME con un proprio stand, ci sarà il team di KDE con diverse proposte, ci sarà Richard Hughes che presenterà PackageKit e infine ci sarà chi parlerà del porting delle Qt 4.4 su Solaris. […]