Vagalume 0.1 released: come and get it!

Posted by berto on November 01, 2007

After a couple of pre-releases, version 0.1 of Vagalume, the Last.fm client for the Nokia N800, is finally here.

Vagalume 0.1

This is the first proper release and it comes with full source code licensed under the GNU GPL.

There haven’t been many changes since the first pre-release from last monday, but this version includes some nice new features such as:

• Proper support for loving/banning tracks.
  • Support for tagging artists, tracks and albums (with multiple tags at once).
  • More menu entries to select Last.fm radios. Avoid typing long lastfm:// URLs.

I have also compiled packages for Debian etch (x86) and Tablet OS 2008 (using Maemo chinook beta), so if there is any lucky owner of an N810 out there, I’d appreciate feedback ;)

I haven’t tried to compile Vagalume for the Nokia 770. I don’t have one of those and I haven’t had the time to find out if it’s easy/possible to make it work there, but if someone tries please let me know. For those interested, this program depends on GTK+2, GStreamer 0.10, libcurl and libxml2.

You can get Vagalume from my webpage.

I’d like to thank all the people who tested the initial pre-releases and sent me their comments. I’ll take them into account for future versions!

Enjoy!

Updated 02 Nov 2007: Vagalume seems to compile with gregale SDK, so I’ve just put a package for the Nokia 770 in my webpage. If anyone can try it and tell me if it works I’d appreciate it!

Updated 02 Nov 2007:Solmis has confirmed that the package for the Nokia 770 works!

Comments

1. Imrahil Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:41:47 CET

Tested! Works great! :)

2. macsja Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:07:10 CET

Excellent! Thank you!

3. MDK Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:20:14 CET

That’s absolutely great stuff. I was longing for a good last.fm player since we released n800. It works great for me on n810/chinook. Needs some polish on the UI side, but it’s cool.

4. berto Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:51:17 CET

MDK, it’s great to know that it works well in the N810.
    I agree with you, the UI needs to improve a log, but as I explained on a previous post, I started this just a few days ago and I wanted to focus on the essential features (protocol, tags, radios, etc.) first.

5. Larux Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:04:20 CET

Excellent! So Excellent! That’s real killerApp for me. I have used browser+flash to listen LastFM. I’m power user of LastFM & N800 and I’m really happy about that release. Thank you!

6. Solmis Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:07:11 CET

Any chance of a 770/os2006 version?

7. berto Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:21:38 CET

Solmis, I’ve put a package for the 770 here. Please tell me if it works!

8. Solmis Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:01:41 CET

Won’t install: package architecture (arm) does not match system (armel)

9. berto Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:20:22 CET

Ok, I’ve just put another one, can you please try again??

10. Solmis Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:28:00 CET

Works! Thank you! Now there is a sound that never goes out ;)

11. berto Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:29:09 CET

Great to know that it works!! I’ll update the page to reflect that, thanks for testing it!!

12. Sami Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:13:52 CET

Another happy user on N810 here, thanks a lot for your work. Where does the name come from, by the way?

13. berto Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:42:11 CET

Ah, the name! I’ll explain that in my next post :-)

14. Faz Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:49:38 CET

Thanks berto!!

Just installed this 5 mins ago, 2 day last.fm user! Listenning to some live never heard before Led Zep on my N800, awesome! :)

Where can we donate towards future dev? (or a beer, or an N810! ;)) PayPal?

15. berto Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:37:38 CET

OMG, are you going to buy me an N810? I should have started this project earlier! X-)

No seriously, you can send me a postcard or something like that :-)

16. [...] As many of you could know, last November 1st my mate Berto released the first version of his Gnome/Maemo Last.fm (codenamed “Vagalume 0.1″), which started being just a “tree-buttons application” and evolved to be a nice application to listen your favorite custom radio stations, providing lots of the typical features that a Last.fm user would expect. [...]