Vagalume: a Last.fm player for the Nokia N800

Posted by berto on October 29, 2007

These days I have been working on Vagalume: a Last.fm player for the Maemo platform (Nokia N800 and N810, though it’s designed to work on a regular PC Gnome desktop as well).

It’s still very small and doesn’t do much (I started it just a few days ago) but since it already works and has the most basic features that a Last.fm player must have I decided to release it.

Don’t expect a UI with lots of colours and shiny buttons in this release: I have been concentrating mostly on the protocol so the UI is stripped to the bare minimum.

Here’s a sample screenshot (taken from the scratchbox):
Vagalume Last.fm player

Features:

• It plays Last.fm radio streams (using the Last.fm protocol v1.2)
  • You can select any radio (Personal, Neighbours, Loved Tracks …, or any arbitrary URL)
  • It implements the Audioscrobbler Realtime Submission Protocol v1.2, specifically:
    • It sends Now Playing information
    • It scrobbles tracks (so you’ll see what you’ve been listening to in your profile).
  • It is stable, I’m using it everyday and I haven’t experienced hangs or other strange behaviours so far.
  • It’s small (the binary is less than 50K).

What it doesn’t do (yet):

• It doesn’t have the ability to Love/Ban/Recommend tracks
  • It doesn’t have a nice UI
  • It doesn’t show album covers on the screen
  • …and many other things

You can install Vagalume in your N800 (with Internet Tablet OS 2007) using this package.

I plan to release the source code under the GNU GPL later this week and I’ll probably build packages for Debian and Ubuntu as well, so you can use this program in your PC. And of course there will be packages for the upcoming Internet Tablet OS 2008 (N800 and N810) too.

And that’s all, folks!

Updated 31 Oct 2007: more packages here.

Comments

1. Joe Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:15:05 CET

Great ! Thanks!

2. dkwatts Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:08:49 CET

A beautiful piece of software.
    It’s already my favorite media player.

3. Jakub Steiner Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:06:40 CET

Perhaps it even trumps the current No.1 use for the n800, web browsing :) Ultimate radio receiver.

4. dwi Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:20:09 CET

Oww awesome! Listening Last.fm pretty often and this app is really useful, thanks!

5. Jess Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:16:14 CET

Very Nice… all we need now is volume control and an alarm clock feature :)

6. Arin Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:07:34 CET

Great work! I used it this morning while cleaning our equipment room here at work. Heard some very nice tunes – beautiful little program!

7. berto Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:10:11 CET

Thank you all for your comments! I’ll probably make the first release with full source code tomorrow. Meanwhile you can get another pre-release here. It includes the ability to Love/Ban tracks, enable/disable scrobbling and the discovery mode.

Jess, the volume control is already planned, I hope I’ll implement it very soon. And the alarm clock feature is a great idea! :-)

8. fpp Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:19:07 CET

Looks really nice & useful ! Too bad there isn’t a version that will install on the 770…

9. DryGoatAir Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:53:57 CET

Great work Alberto! Works like a charm! But the volume control is indeed missing, but I’ll just wait for it. Also a menu icon would be nice ;) I hate those standard Nokia icons.

10. berto Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:56:25 CET

Thanks! I hate those icons too, I’ll try to improve the UI in future releases :)

BTW, check the latest versions here.

11. Felipe Contreras Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:37:57 CET

Great job!

It’s now my favorite media player for my N810.

Actually I would even use it in my laptop instead of Rhythmbox since it has more features than the last.fm plugin!

Vagalume si mola ;)

12. timsamoff Sat, 10 Nov 2007 03:09:44 CET

Alberto, I posted something at your Garage project page as well, but… Thank you for this!

My thanks:

13. [...] A Last.fm client is one of the features that only a Nokia 8×0 can provide (good luck with an iPod …). Vagalume is the nice last.fm player which was missing on the Maemo platform. [...]

14. [...] I was just checking out some of my regular N800 haunts when I came across a new application which is being created called Vagalume, a Last.fm player for the N800 / N810. Funnily enough I was talking with a few friends on the weekend about Last.fm and I was wishing I had a mobile version. [...]

15. [...] Berto has announced his nice last.fm player for Maemo. It is GPL, stable, you can listen to your favorite radio, and the binary is less than 50k. No excuse for not using it. [...]