Last.fm is no longer free

Posted by berto on April 23, 2009

Yesterday Last.fm announced that from now on users will need a subscriber account in order to listen to their radio streams. The new API for streaming music has also been published.

I already talked about this change in my previous post and I think that I don’t have much more to add.

For those of you who are going to keep using Last.fm: I updated Vagalume yesterday and it’s already using the new API. I’ll try to test it more thoroughly during these days and release a new version soon.

I’m also interested in adding support for other compatible alternatives such as Libre.fm.

Comments

1. Götz Waschk Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:08:28 CET

It is still working fine here. You must live in the “wrong” country.

2. berto Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:12:32 CET

Well, the old API is working fine here too (and I do live in a wrong ;-) country) but it’s supposed to stop working sooner or later.

3. Craig Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:36:59 CET

Time to start looking at / contributing to http://libre.frm

4. berto Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:19:57 CET

Yes, but does libre.fm stream music ?

5. jeffgrado Fri, 24 Apr 2009 01:22:48 CET

Glad to hear about the new version, looking foward to it. They cut me off today, but the service is worth the relatively low price.

6. trini Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:11:04 CET

use proxy ;) Tools – Options – Connection – 86.28.18.170 Port 8080
    this is UK proxy and let you listen free

7. trini Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:34:51 CET

US proxy: 150.176.182.32 Port 80

8. Rubik2k Sun, 26 Apr 2009 03:59:45 CET

Thanks for your hard work. I’m pleased with you want add support to another services like libre.fm. Greetings!

9. Ross Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:01:01 CET

could someone share the proxy for Australia please? :)

10. mtron Sat, 02 May 2009 21:34:52 CET

hi berto!

from what i understand libre.fm is a free / open / libre drop in replacement for the audioscrobbler statistics and has no streaming radio (for now?)

anyway, another service that streams music (french provider) is http://www.deezer.com/. They serve some playlists and a brunch of radio channels and there is an iphone app (wiki also says a blackberry app is in development) for streaming, so i guess they might also be open for 3rd party clients?

Maybe an streaming alternative to look at ;)

Cheers,
    mtron

11. trini Wed, 13 May 2009 23:20:48 CET

Get proxies here: http://www.xroxy.com/
    The best working are distorting proxies.
    216.240.136.189:80 is working one at moment ;)

12. [...] that Last.fm is restricted in most countries, the obvious alternative (already discussed in previous posts) was to start offering support for similar services for people that cannot / don’t want to [...]

13. [...] that Last.fm is restricted in most countries, the obvious alternative (already discussed in previous posts) was to start offering support for similar services for people that cannot / don’t want to use [...]

14. Canol Wed, 20 May 2009 12:47:55 CET

Hello,

Can anybody explain me why it is a bad thing to pay a relatively low price for the music you want to listen? And Last.fm wants you to pay only if you want to listen certain songs on the radio. They don’t restrict you to listen to songs in your hard drive (which you might already bought) or they don’t even want money for giving statistics of your music habits.

Musicians give effort to make music and they should get money to keep living and keep making music. You say “I want to listen your music but I won’t pay you, go get another job” which is cruel, I think.

15. trini Fri, 29 May 2009 21:05:01 CET

nothing, Canol, if you can pay. people who can pay won’t spend time looking for alternatives, if anyone is taking a trouble to scan for working proxies, it’s not because they find such of type time spending entertaining. it’s usually for other reasons, which people who come and post here ‘why you don’t just pay’ won’t understand simply because for you is ‘just go and pay’. not people in all countries are at same level, you can’t compare swizerland and brazil example, while in one place the amount of money last.fm ask is redicoulusly small and at other it is not.

16. Lopo Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:17:31 CET

And usually places where you don’t need to pay (United States, United Kingdom and Germany) are exactly the ones where people would have the money to pay the $3 without a second tought.

Just an interesting think about :)

17. john Sat, 06 Jun 2009 19:55:53 CET

I enjoyed lastfm while it lasted. now looking for alternatives. i tried the proxy setting idea listed above. it did not work.

18. about proxy Sun, 07 Jun 2009 11:10:03 CET

Proxy needs to be http ,with SSL support and US/UK/Germany.
    64.46.248.204 port 8080 is working right now

19. debie valic Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:26:39 CET

i would like to subscribe to last fm but i do not know how

20. umair Sat, 25 Sep 2010 12:57:48 CET

people will do anything for a free service :P

21. viranga Fri, 04 Feb 2011 13:53:30 CET

use grooveshark. listen.grooveshark.com.
    you can download songs with orbit downloader.
    there are paid services too.

22. Picktorrent Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:32:13 CET

I only used it when I didn’t have music on my phone. I much prefer using Pandora as well. The whole no pausing thing was a big problem for me too. $3 is very inexpensive if you use the app a lot. Speaking of radio’s does anyone remember Imeem? That was the main reason I switched over to last.fm.