Vagalume 0.3: now with some images too

Posted by berto on November 21, 2007

I’ve just released Vagalume 0.3, the Last.fm client for Gnome and Nokia 770/N800/N810.

Although I said that I’d begin to improve the UI after releasing version 0.2, I finally decided to implement some other basic features first. Fortunately these last two days I’ve had some time to work a bit on the UI too, and thanks to the help of my mates Felipe and Mario now we have some icons and other minor UI enhancements :-) (by the way, check Felipe’s blog for new ideas concerning Vagalume)

Here’s a screenshot of Vagalume 0.3 on a Nokia N800. There’s still a lot to do but at least I hope that it doesn’t look so boring:

Vagalume 0.3 on the N800

What’s new in Vagalume 0.3?

Major changes in this release include:

• Support for lastfm://play/ URLs. These are the 30-second previews (and sometimes full-length tracks) that you get clicking on most of the songs in the Last.fm webpage.
  • If you click on a lastfm:// link in other application (the web browser, the e-mail client) now it will be opened with Vagalume (Maemo only feature)
  • Some of those full-length tracks can be downloaded (see examples below). There’s a new button to download the mp3 file in Vagalume for those tracks. Right now they’re always stored in the Audio Clips folder and there’s no progress bar, but I’ll improve that in future releases.
  • As you can see in the above screenshot, now Vagalume shows the album cover of the track being played
  • We have new buttons to love, ban and download tracks, and icons for all of them

And now a bit of spam: I’d like to recommend a couple of tracks from some local bands for you to test these new features :-)

The first one is a band from Ourense called Annie Hall. They sing mostly in Spanish and their guitar pop is (in their own words) influenced by bands such as Teenage Fanclub and The Jesus and Mary Chain. You can listen to their whole record in its page at Last.fm, or you can play it with Vagalume clicking on these links (all tracks are downloadable):

The other band is 6PM, a Galician band whose first record, Far From Perfect, has received some good reviews. 6PM sing in English and their music is darker, more electronic and sometimes a bit experimental. Their music is often compared to that of The Postal Service. They uploaded their whole album to Last.fm and here’s the link to my favourite track: Homemade Screener

More info, packages, source code, etc., here.

Update: It seems that in the 770 all buttons appear without images, I’ll try to debug it later and release new packages for the 770.

Update: The problem in the 770 described above has been fixed in Vagalume 0.3a (so that is a 770-only release).

Comments

1. Murray Cumming Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:45:52 CEST

Please put it in maemo extras. Why make life difficult by using a separate repository?

2. berto Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:52:10 CEST

I didn’t know that I could upload packages to maemo extras, I’ll have a look later

3. LaruX Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:57:59 CEST

Wow! Being last.fm addict all enhancements to client are so welcome. It’s nice to know that you have implemented ban/love functions to current version.

THANK YOU!

4. berto Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:02:57 CEST

Love and ban have been working since Vagalume 0.1, the only difference is that now they have buttons so you don’t need to go to the menus :-)

5. Solmis Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:28:06 CEST

berto: still no images with the 0.3test

6. fpp Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:47:29 CEST

You should also create a Garage page, that would enable us to vote for Vagalume as “Pearl of the month” and promote it ! :-)

7. berto Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:55:55 CEST
  8. timsamoff Thu, 22 Nov 2007 04:37:33 CEST

Alberto… Brilliant. Thank you! ;)

9. LaruX Thu, 22 Nov 2007 07:54:46 CEST

Berto: Yeah, I know that love & ban were hidden into menus, however, Being Last.FM addict I have used to click GUI buttons when using either OSX or Flash clients.

So, that’s why I’m so happy that Vagalume is getting more GUI functions.

10. max Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:54:06 CEST

Very nice!!! :)

11. opaco Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:40:20 CEST

Pretty nice… everything seems to work great. I’m really enjoying your Lucecú 0.3 :P

12. Dog training Sun, 25 Nov 2007 12:16:59 CEST

Very interesting… as always! Cheers from -Switzerland-.

13. Rick Sun, 25 Nov 2007 18:35:31 CEST

Pena de no tener un N8xx para poder probarlo… :)

14. berto Sun, 25 Nov 2007 18:56:02 CEST

También lo puedes probar en un 770 ;-)
    …y en un PC normal, hay paquetes para Debian etch

15. [...] Unha vez en marcha, só respostar unhas preguntas para configuralo e xa estamos conectados a internet se é que estamos ao abeiro dalgunha rede wifi ou temos un móvil co que conectar via bluetooth. Polo que respecta á sensibilidade para captar redes wifi, sorprendeume pola súa capacidade de chegar a recibir sinais de redes que non son quen ver desde outras máquinas. E é que este aparello naceu para estar conectado a internet, así que os máis dos programas ao noso dispor aproveitan a conectividade que ofrece, desde os navegadores (Opera ou Microb), programas de correo electrónico, reproductores multimedia, clientes de mensaxería ou de VoIP, ou mesmo o Mauku, un cliente para o Jaiku ou o Vagalume, un cliente para last.fm, paradigmas estes dous últimos das posibilidades dun aparello deste tipo cuns programas que apenas pesan uns kilobytes. [...]

16. Brad B. Thu, 29 Nov 2007 04:00:47 CEST

Thank you so much for this. I’ve been using 0.2 on my 770 and loving it. I’m new to lastFM and the Nokia and it works like a charm. One question.. do I have to remove 0.2 before installing 0.3a?

17. berto Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:28:04 CEST

No, you don’t, you should be able to install 0.3a directly. Of course you can remove 0.2 before, but it shouldn’t make any difference.

18. [...] Hurra! All die Experiemente mit Tools wie lastfmproxy und der Frustration darüber, dass sich der last.fm Flashplayer weigert ohne Displaybeleuchtung zu arbeiten gibt es nun endlich einen richtigen last.fm Client für die Internet Tablets von Nokia mit dem schmucken Namen Vagalume. Die Liste der Feaures lässt keine Wünsche offen. [...]

19. albert Fri, 07 Dec 2007 08:40:41 CEST

Que sepas que por tu culpa me he pillado el N810.
    Wuah! un cliente de lastfm en el bolsillo, jaja.

Gracias mil desde València.

Por cierto, muy xulas las dos bandas, y de la tierra.

20. berto Sat, 08 Dec 2007 01:18:54 CEST

Vaya albert, pues sí que te ha gustado el programa entonces!!

Si todo va bien la próxima semana saco una nueva versión, así
    que estate atento! :-)

21. Chris Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:22:03 CEST

I’d like to congratulate for this very nice software! Now my N770 is even more useful. I also like the album art display!

Great work, keep on going!

Cheers,
    Chris

22. [...] As many of you could know, last November 1st my mate Berto released the first version of his Gnome/Maemo Last.fm (codenamed “Vagalume 0.1″), which started being just a “three-button application” and evolved to be a nice application to listen your favorite custom radio stations, providing lots of the typical features that a Last.fm user would expect. [...]

23. [...] a nice little Last.fm player, ideal to keep around while you’re working, and therefore the latest version, that displays album covers within a nicer interface, is a great [...]