Flexbox Cats (a.k.a fixing images in flexbox)

In my previous post I discussed my most recent contributions to flexbox code in WebKit mainly targeted at reducing the number of interoperability issues among the most popular browsers. The ultimate goal was of course to make the life of web developers easier. It got quite some attention (I loved Alan Stearns' description of the post) so I decided to write another one, this time focused in the changes I recently landed in WebKit (Safari鈥檚 engine) to improve the handling of elements with aspect ratio inside flexbox, a....

January 20, 2021 路 svillar

Closing the gap (in flexbox 馃槆)

Flexbox had a lot of early problems, but by mid-May 2020 where our story begins, both Firefox and Chromium had done a lot of work on improving things with this feature. WebKit, however, hadn鈥檛 caught up. Prioritizing the incredible amounts of work a web engine requires is difficult. The WebKit implementation was still passable for very many (most) cases of the core features, and it didn鈥檛 have problems that caused crashes or something that urgently demanded attention, so engineers dedicated their limited time toward other things....

October 1, 2020 路 svillar

Adventures in the Grid

Hi there, fellow readers. Today I鈥檓 starting a mini-series of posts to talk a little bit about the work I鈥檝e been lately doing at Igalia around WebKit and Blink web engines. I鈥檝e been involved in the implementation of a new standard called CSS Grid Layout in both engines. My mate rego has already talked about that, so take a look at his post if you need to know more about the basics....

March 31, 2014 路 svillar

Improving the editing code in WebKit

For a while now Igalia and Bloomberg have been collaborating to advance Web technologies. As part of that, I鈥檝e been lately involved on improving some editing capabilities of WebKit (posts to follow soon). As you probably know, in HTML5 any element can be editable. The feature was introduced some time ago, but was finally standardized by the WHATWG. It鈥檚 as easy as adding the attribute contenteditable=true and voil脿, the magic unfolds (check it out!...

March 22, 2013 路 svillar

http://publicsuffix.org support coming to libsoup

I have the pleasure to frequently hack on libsoup as part of the great Igalia WebKit team. Many things are happening in libsoup but that鈥檚 a topic for some other upcoming post. Today I will talk about a new feature I landed just a few days ago and that will be shipped with the 2.40 release. I鈥檓 talking about the support for http://publicsuffix.org. What鈥檚 that? The public suffix list is a聽community driven聽initiative from Mozilla whose aim is to provide a trusted list of well known public domain suffixes, like for example: ....

June 20, 2012 路 svillar

WebKitGtk+ HTTP cache ready!

It鈥檚 being a while since I joined the Igalia鈥檚 WebKitGtk+ team. Mainly focused on network stuff, I managed to tackle several issues during this time although nothing like what I call 鈥渢he one鈥. Last week, after really a lot of work, we landed the patches that add HTTP cache support to WebKitGtk+. It all started in libsoup. The idea was to create an HTTP cache inside libsoup using the new-io branch started by Dan during the past WebKitGtk+ hackfest....

October 20, 2010 路 svillar