GstSpringHackfest2017: a quick report

Two weeks ago was the GStreamer Spring Hackfest 2017 and I am very happy about how it went. I have the feeling that most of the attendees had a good time, and made some progress in their projects. I want to thank all the people that participated, in some way or another.

Along that weekend when the hackfest happened, besides my duties as organizer (with a lot of help from my colleagues at Igalia), I managed to hack a bit on GstPlayer, proposing the missing API for setting the subtitles font description (782858). Also I helped Nicolas a bit with the upstreaming of the v4l2 video encoder (728438). Julien Isource and I talked about the missing parts of DMABuf support in gstreamer-vaapi, in particular the action path when the new libva API, for importing and exporting DMABuf, got merged (779146). With Thibault we played with the idea of a Jenkins server doing CI for gstreamer-vaapi. Also I did some kernel debugging, and found out why kmssink failed in db410c when the caps changed from RGB to YUV, thus Rob Clark cooked a patch.

Finally, I worked on a time-lapse video of the hackfest’s main room, only using GStreamer with gstreamer-vaapi in an Atom-based NUC. You can glance the code of the video grabber. Thanks to Luis de Bethencourt for the original idea and code.