As the first quarter of 2021 has aready come to a close, we reckon it’s time to recap our achievements from the second half of 2020, and update you on the improvements we have been making to the multimedia experience on the Web and Linux in general.
Our previous reports:
We have closed ~100 issues related with multimedia in WebKitGTK/WPE, such as fixed seek issues while playback, plugged memory leaks, gardening tests, improved Flatpak-based developing work-flow, enabled new codecs, etc.. Overall, we improved a bit the multimedia’s user experience on these Webkit engine ports.
To highlight a couple tasks, we did some maintenance work on WebAudio backends, and we upstreamed an internal audio mixer, keeping only one connection to the audio server, such as PulseAudio, instead of multiple connections, one for every audio resource. The mixer combines all streams into a single audio server connection.
Adaptive media streaming for the Web (MSE)
We have been working on a new MSE backend for a while, but along the way many related bugs have appeared and they were squashed. Also many code cleanups has been carried out. Though it has been like yak shaving, we are confident that we will reach the end of this long and winding road soonish.
DRM media playback for the Web (EME)
Regarding digital protected media playback, we worked to upstream OpenCDM, support with Widevine, through RDK’s Thunder framework, while continued with the usual maintenance of the others key systems, such as Clear Key, Widevine and PlayReady.
For more details we published a blog post: Serious Encrypted Media Extensions on GStreamer based WebKit ports.
Realtime communications for the Web (WebRTC)
Just as EME, WebRTC is not currently enabled by default in browsers such as Epiphany because license problems, but they are available for custom adopters, and we are maintaining it. For example, we collaborated to upgrade LibWebRTC to M87 and fixed the expected regressions and gardening.
Along the way we experimented a bit with the new GPUProcess for capture devices, but we decided to stop the experimentation while waiting for a broader adoption of the process, for example in graphics rendering, in WPE/WebKitGTK.
GPUProcess work will be retaken at some point, because it’s not, currently, a hard requirement, since we already have moved capture devices handling from the UIProcess to the WebProcess, isolating all GStreamer operations in the latter.
GStreamer is one of our core multimedia technologies, and we contribute on it on a daily basis. We pushed ~400 commits, with similar number of code reviews, along the second half of 2020. Among of those contributions let us highlight the following list:
- A lot of bug fixing aiming for release 1.18.
- Reworked and enhanced
decodebin3, the GstTranscoder
av1parsein video parsers plugin.
- Iterated on the mono-repo
proposal, which requires consensus and coordination among the whole community.
gstwpeelement has been greatly improved from new user requests.
- Contributed on the new
libgstcodecslibrary, which enables stateless video decoders through different platforms (for example, v4l2, d3d11, va, etc.).
- Developed a new plugin for VA-API using this library, exposing H.264, H.265, VP9, VP8, MPEG2 decoders and a full featured postprocessor, with better performance, according our measurements, than GStreamer-VAAPI.
Despite 2020 was not a year for conferences, many of them went virtual. We attended one, the Mile high video conference, and participated in the Slack workspace.
Thank you for reading this report and stay tuned with our work.