Herostratus’ legacy

words from a lazy coder

my DSP related activities

When I started to play with the Beagleboard, my objective was to poke with the DSP accelerated codecs through OpenMAX and GStreamer. But soon I realized that it would be a hard task to achieve since the framework, developed by Texas Instrument, is in part proprietary (though free), and the another is open source, but it is not developed with an open source community in mind.When I started to pulled it out, the first decision I had to face was to choose a cross compiling environment. As you know, there are plenty: scratchbox, OpenEmbedded, Buildroot, PTXdist, etc. But just because people I know from TI began to write recipes for Poky, I devoted some time learning about it. Although, after a while, I jumped into OpenEmbedded. The reason were the slow updating rate against upstream which Poky had (and as I don’t follow the project anymore, I’m not aware about its current state).

But bitbake and OpenEmbedded are not the magic wand to build up a complete image to boot up in a device. There are a lot of things to define previously. Just to mention one, the distribution to build. By default OpenEmbedded offers Angstrom. But I did not want a full featured distribution, I wondered for something thin and lean, only a serial shell to start with, something I could set as a workbench for my multimedia experiments.

And for that reason marmita born.

As you may see, I mimicked the “Poky’s way”, making an overlay of OpenEmbedded, but as soon as I was getting involved in the OE’s community, I realized that maybe that it was not the correct decision, maybe I should push my changes into Angstrom instead.

Anyway, right now I have a steady set of recipes which allows me to build images for the Beagleboard, with the latest dspbridge kernel branch, and many of the TI bytes (either proprietary and open source) required for running the DSP accelerated codecs.

On the other hand, I have revamped the DSP how-to at elinux.org wiki, with the instructions to build up a kernel with DSP/BIOS Bridge support, and the means to test the communication with the DSP through it.

Along this process I became aware of the TI problems to release his DSP user space stack to the open source community. Even though the kernel side is moving quite well towards the kernel mainline, the user space bits are not doing that well, even more, they will be completely deprecated soon, because the kernel interface is still evolving.

At the lowest layer, on the ARM side of the DSP users pace stack, there is a library known as libbridge, which is basically an abstraction of the ioctl to the dspbridge kernel module, and it offers an interface with a nice semantics, but it is too much aligned to the old win16/32 API style (a bad idea in my opinion).

But the problem does not start with the API style, it begins at locating the library inside of a chaotic bunch of files, insanely bundled in a git repository, along with binaries (either for Windows and Linux), tarballs, and all sort of unrelated documentation.

Furthermore, the image building machinery within TI is a custom set of invasive makefiles, which all the projects must include and being conform with them. As result of this highly coupled build engine, extracting and isolating a project for it release is a painful and error prone process.

Given those problems, I got lost as soon as I began. So I decided to emulate the Felipe Contreras’ approach: get rid of libbridge and use his minimalist dspbridge ioctl wrapper: dsp_bridge, what he uses for gst-dsp. In order to train myself in these topics I wrote a clone of the TI’s ping application, using the dsp_bridge instead. And later on I wrote the DSP socket node counterpart. Both included in the dsp-samples repository.

Currently, the ping application is also included in the Meego’s dsp-tools repository.

Nevertheless, most of the DSP multimedia codecs are exposed, out of the box, through the TI’s OpenMAX IL implementation. And it depends on libbridge. For that reason I ripped out the libbridge from the userspace-dspbridge repository and pushed it into a different repository, cleaned it up its building machinery and removed other unneeded bytes too.

Finally, I had to do the same for the OpenMAX IL, which is not only messed up with the inside building machinery, but it is not released through a git repository yet, using instead old fashioned tarballs.

The future work will be integrate gst-openmax into marmita and try to participate with gst-dsp development. Also, FelipeC came up with the idea of rewrite libbridge in terms of dsp_bridge, task that I have been exploring lately.