As many of you may know, lately I have been working on Ekiga and Opal. And, as usually happens to me, I started to wonder how I would re-write that piece of software. My main ideas growth clearly: craft a GObject library, ala WebKitGTK+, wrapping Opal’s classes, paying attention to the gobject-introspection, also, redirecting the Opal’s multimedia rendering to a GStreamer player, and, finally, write the application with Vala.
The curiosity itched me hard, so I started to hack, from time to time, these ideas. In mid-November, last year, I had a functional prototype, which only could make phone calls in a disgraceful user interface. But I got my proof of concept. Nonetheless, as I usually do, I didn’t dropped the pet project, continuing the development of more features.
And today, I am pleased to present you, the release v0.1 of GPhone.
Well, I guess a screencast is mandatory nowadays: