21
Jun 10

by the way

I am attending GUADEC

I am attending GUADEC


13
Jun 10

jpeg decoder in gst-dsp

Do you remember this comment? Well, I took the challenge, and it has been hard to accomplish.

I started with an early implementation of FelipeC, but then I realised that I didn’t understand a bit about what it was going on.

So, I outlined a strategy with two milestones: try to clean up the TI OpenMAX IL implementation and then to add the jpeg decoder to gst-dsp.

In order to clean up the TI’s OMXIL, FelipeC recommended me to rewrite libdspbridge using dsp_bridge beneath, but I didn’t see a real gain on that task. It makes sense for a progressive TI-OMXIL update without breaking the ABI, but that was not my purpose, so I stepped further and decided to rewrite the LCML in terms of dsp_bridge instead.

The LCML is the acronym for Linux Common Multimedia Layer, and it is a shared library, loaded at run-time by the OMX components, and it provides the communication between the ARM-side application and the multimedia DSP socket node (SN). It is build upon the libdspbridge for the interaction with the DSPBridge kernel module.

My task was to rewrite the LCML, removing the libdspbridge linking dependency. You can see the result in my lcml-ng branch.

Along the rewrite process I understood the communication protocol used by the socket nodes. The clean up was really painful because the LCML code is very messy and poorly designed. And I have to say this, the Hungarian notation must be buried deep down into the oblivion.

It was my intention to keep the ABI compatibility but I rather preferred be readable, so I ended breaking it.

With a clear idea of how the LCML library works, I retook the challenge, with some degree of success: the SN was loaded up and allocated correctly, and also I found that the input port only admits one buffer, and not two as rest of the video decoders in gstdspvdec. But, when everything looked promising and the input buffer was pushed, the SN threw an critical error event and the output buffer was never received.

I had to do more than merely understand the LCML, I had must rewrite the JPEG decoder OMX component too. But this time the code was even more obfuscated than the one in the LCML.

And I had an epiphany: developing software in community implies have clean and readable code, for sake of the peer reviewing, each one with heterogeneous backgrounds. Meanwhile, under the closed and internal development approach, the QA is based on black box testing, where the cleanness of the code is not a praised virtue, but somewhat the opposite.

I rewrote all the jpeg decoder bits, from the component to its test application, but I have not pushed that branch yet into gitorious.

Finally I came across with the missing parts: each buffer pushed into the SN must have metadata, which is a structure with information about the buffer; in the case of the jpeg decoder, there were also a couple of magic numbers. The output buffer also comes with metadata, which, among other information, expresses if the buffer was decoded correctly.

Yesterday, before meeting my mates for cinema, I emailed a couple patches with the initial support for the jpeg decoding in gst-dsp.

The next task is find a strategy for the buffer number assignation on each port, so it could be defined as late as possible.